At its founding meeting in June 1994, The League of the South adopted the following Statement of Purpose:
“We seek to advance the cultural, social, economic, and political well-being and independence of the Southern people, by all honorable means.”
Our Core Beliefs Statement is a more detailed explanation of our views on the four areas set forth above: the cultural, social, economic and political.
I. Cultural Independence:
The League of the South believes that Southern culture is distinct from, and in opposition to, the corrupt mainstream American culture. Therefore, we stand for our own sublime cultural inheritance and seek to separate ourselves from the cultural rot that is American culture. We believe that:
• The South still reveres the tenets of our historic Christian faith and acknowledges its supremacy over man-made laws and opinions; that our Christian faith provides the surest means of securing the welfare of all mankind; and that our primary allegiance is to the Lord Jesus Christ and His Holy Church.
• Our strongest and most enduring earthly affections and allegiances are to those people and places closest to us-family, friends, neighbors, villages, towns, cities, counties, and States. Conversely, our weakest attachments are to far-off abstractions such as “the nation,” “the environment,” or the “global community.”
• Southern artists, writers, poets, musicians, and playwrights have produced world-class works of art and literature. Such endeavors must be nurtured and preserved for future generations of Southerners.
• Southerners are a people bound closely to the land. It is more than just a resource for production; it is who we are. It defines both our character and worldview.
• Southerners have respect for human life, in all its stages, as a gift from God. Life should be preserved, nurtured, and protected.
II. Social Independence:
The League of the South asserts that Southern society is radically different from the society impressed upon it by an alien occupier. American society today is egalitarian and Marxist and is devoid of any grace or charm. In contrast, we believe in a Southern society that:
• Upholds the ontological or spiritual equality of all men before God and the bar of justice, while recognizing and rejoicing in the fact that is has neither been the will of God Almighty nor within the power of human legislation to make any two men mechanically equal.
• Is structured upon the Biblical notion of hierarchy. In short, a recognition of the natural societal order of superiors and subordinates where Christian charity (as found in the second Table of the Law) toward our neighbors produces harmony and stability. Christ is the head of His Church; husbands are the heads of their families; parents are placed over their children; employers rank above their employees; the teacher is superior to his students, etc.
• Recognizes and promotes the sanctity of Christian marriage as an image of the relationship between Christ and His Church; understands that loving and stable families are the backbone of society; stigmatizes perversity and all that seeks to undermine marriage and the family.
• Teaches and practices good manners and the famed “Southern hospitality, which are outward manifestations of the recognition that our fellow men are made in the image of God and should be treated according to God’s law.
• Perpetuates the chivalric ideal of manhood – respect for, and protection of, our women, and the development of the virtues of honesty, courage, honor, and humility.
• Values and sustains true freedom of association for individuals, families, organizations, and other human institutions.
• Believes in the rule of law and the wise, benevolent, and righteous application of justice by ecclesiastical and civil authorities.
III. Economic Independence:
It is The League of the South’s assertion that the system of fiat currency, fractional reserve banking, unfair trade agreements, outsourcing of jobs, and confiscatory taxation imposed by the American Empire have reduced considerably the Southern people’s standard of living. We believe in an economic and financial system that:
• Abolishes all forms of the “income tax” on individuals and families.
• Has no central banking system.
• Abolished all taxes on real property, both during the life of its owner and at his death, and established alloidal title to land as the only recognized form of ownership.
• Levies indirect taxation (e.g. sales and use taxes, tolls, etc.) as a reasonable and necessary means for the support of government functions.
• Enforces a “full disclosure” policy against banks that practice fractional reserve banking.
• Condemns usury as unbiblical.
• Establishes equitable and just trade agreements with foreign nations.
• Keeps regulation of business and commerce to a reasonable limit.
IV. Political Independence:
The South’s political ideals and principles are rooted in the Jeffersonian tradition as expressed in the Declaration of Independence. Namely, that our unalienable rights are a gift from God, not privileges that are granted or denied by any governmental authority; that a truly free people has the right and power to determine its own form of government; that governmental power should reside as close to the people as possible and that competing governmental bodies should have meaningful checks on one another’s use of power. Another certainty is that the American Empire that now occupies the South believes in none of the aforementioned ideals and principles. To be truly free and self- governing, the South must throw off the yoke of imperial oppression.
Therefore, The League of the South advocates the secession and subsequent independence of the Southern States from this forced union and the formation of a Southern republic. We envision a free Southern republic that:
1. Is a true constitutional confederation of sovereign, independent States who separately order and control their own internal affairs while working in unity with their sister States to conduct foreign affairs.
2. Recognizes State representation in the legislature of the confederated States.
Acknowledges that the individual States have constitutional rights of nullification, interposition, and secession.
3. Practices a foreign policy of armed and vigilant neutrality (i.e. commerce and friendship with all, entangling alliances with none).
4. Maintains secure borders and strictly limits immigration.
5. Revives the use of State Militias in place of maintaining large, standing armies.
6. Does not infringe upon the individual or collective right to purchase and own firearms of any type suitable for self-defense.
7. Restricts the right to vote solely to those who are recognized as citizens of one of the member States of the confederation.
If your beliefs align with our own, we invite you to JOIN US!